Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a very embarrassing question that I don't even want

Customer Question

I have a very embarrassing question that I don't even want to ask my vet about. We have a pit bull that we rescued last May, and he truly is the joy of our life. Only one problem, if he even thinks we're going to get intimate he starts gagging. Then, if we actually do get to be intimate he literally throws up on us maybe two or three times before we can calm him down. I'm talking dog throw up everywhere. We put him outside our bedroom door, but he weighs 90lbs. So there went the door. We are both 56 and don't feel like we have a huge amount of time to waste playing psychologist to our boy. Thank kindly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. This is a bit of a strange behavior. It sounds like a stress induced nausea to me. He is probably stressed about the situation and that nervous energy causes nausea in him. The stress organ in dogs is the gut, so this is not at all uncommon. There is not an easy way to stop this. You can try an antacid like Pepcid (Famotidine) to see if that prevents it. In a dog this size, you could give 20 mg before a known event. You could also consider speaking with your vet about getting an anti-anxiety med like Trazodone. This is used a lot as an anti-anxiety in dogs. I wish there was an easy fix, but I think leaving the room is probably the best in the moment option.Let me know if you have any other questions.