Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I think my puppy has coccidia

Customer Question

I think my puppy has coccidia
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Coccidia is a pretty common protozoal infection seen in young dogs. It can be seen as persistent diarrhea in numerous cases. It typically doesn't seem to have any vomiting or loss of appetite with it. The puppies affected by it typically are still very energetic and active. Their stools are just persistently lose. The way to screen for it is with a stool sample run by your vet. The other common protozoal issue is giardia. Intestinal hookworms or roundworms are also pretty common in young dogs.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We just got her two days ago. She has had her first two rounds of 4 in 1 vaccine. She is intermittently experiencing watery, bloody stool. She's still eating and full of energy. What can we do?
That is good that she's still eating and full of energy. I'm going to be very honest here and say that the very best thing to do is to get her to your vet. They can check her over and do a good physical exam on her. With any new puppy acquisition, it is always best to have them checked over by your vet in the first couple days to make sure their health is as good as it can be. They can screen for heart murmurs and set up preventative health vaccines and such. They can also screen the stool for giardia / coccidia / parasites. Depending on the cause, they will start up a specific medication for it.