Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have been useing everything i possible can to get rid of

Customer Question

i have been useing everything i possible can to get rid of the fleas...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: mulan... and I have had her since she was born.... i've never had this issue never with her i dn't understand
JA: How old is Mulan ...?
Customer: i'm truly hurt cause she is bitting herself bad
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: she is 9
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
mulan is 9 and i have had her since she was born and never had an issue like this... I think she has fleas but i have gotten shampoo for fleas, adams flea and tick spray, and medicated hotspot from adams... but she is still having a serious issue... she bit the tip of her tail off just now and i didn't even see her do it and i feel like the worst person in the world cause i have done so much trying to get rid of her fleas... i even sprayed my bed and furniture with stuff... do i need to bomb my house to kill these fleas...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Poor Mulan!Now to start, the Adams products are not very effective and we do see a lot of flea resistance. Therefore, we'd really want to consider re-treating with a better product that will better protect her. Examples include Advantage Multi, Activyl, Vectra- 3D, Bravecto, and Revolution.Otherwise, since their itching in these cases is actually related to an allergic reaction to flea saliva; we'd need to tackle that to soothe her skin. To do so, we can try an OTC antihistamine; though be aware that if she is severely itchy it would be best to have her local vet treat her with strong injectable long acting steroids to break the allergic cycle and get her skin settled sooner (they can also provide antibiotics to address the hot spots and tail at the same time). Though if you did want to try an antihistamine in the mean time, you can certainly do so.Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Otherwise, do make sure to salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) bathe the open tail wound and hot spot +/- apply OTC antibiotic cream to both. And if she is chewing herself raw, do consider an e-collor to prevent further self-trauma (+/- a tshirt or reversed boxer shorts to protect the rest of her skin from itching with her back feet.Finally, since fleas are not host dependant and can invest houses, we need to make sure you are treating you home as well.Specifically, you can wash all soft furnishings (on warm in your washer) to kill eggs and larva. You can also help reduce the flea population by vacuuming. Now when doing this, you need to do it often since the initial vacuuming will stimulate flea eggs to hatch. As well, you need to reach all those places that flea mums will have laid eggs (so carpet in closets or under the couches need to be targeted as well). So, after the stimuli, we'd vacuum every few days to suck up as many of those present in the carpet as possible. Further to this, there are a range of chemical home treatments that can be of use. Though I would just note to ensure it contains Insect Growth Regulator (IGR), since that will prevent the eggs from hatching and larvae from developing. So, where most house flea products just kill adults, the IGR containing ones will target all life stages.Overall, we need to be aggressive in our treatments here if she is self-traumatizing herself so badly. Therefore, use the above at this stage but if she has wounded herself, antibiotics and steroids form her local vet would be ideal to soothe her skin and help her heal as we clear the fleas for her.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )