Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog's ear has been bothering him off and on 2

Customer Question

my dog's ear has been bothering him off and on for about 2 months- it got better then last night he started scratching it again and whines when he does. he does not do well at veterinary offices and to look at his ear they would probably have to sedate him- is there anything I can do from home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Can you tell me if his has much discharge in his ear? Does it look red and swollen inside?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He won't let me look to close. I have not noticed discharge but there is definitely an odor coming from it and it also looks a bit red.
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.
Ok. So the safest thing to do is to take your dog to the vet. The reason being, they can hopefully thoroughly clean the ear out if it does have discharge, and can swab the ear and look at it under the microscope to see if we have yeast, bacteria, or both growing in the ear. Here is an article with general information on ear infection in dogs: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=632There is one over the counter product I have had some success with and sometimes use in practice, called Zymox Otic. If you absolutely cannot get him in, you could try this product for a week or so to see if there is any improvement. If, however, your dog is really scratching at the ear/shaking his head alot, it may not be enough, and some dogs need oral steroids to get the inflammation in the canal under control. If they keep shaking and scratching, they can develop a hematoma in the ear pinnae (the floppy part of the ear) that is a much bigger issue to deal with, so we don't want that to happen! The product you can get online if you want to try it is:http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Zymox-Otic-Hydrocortisone-Bottle/dp/B00II70XDG. That being said, if he won't let you get close to look at his ear, not sure if he is going to let you medicate his ear at home? There are products your vet can order that last for a longer time in the ear, so that is an option as well! Please let me know if you have any other questions! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question.