Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She is drooling from the mouth, has diarrhea which smells horrible

Customer Question

she is drooling from the mouth, has diarrhea which smells horrible and is throwing up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not to my knowledge.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: chloe and she is 9 years old. a mini dachshund and kept in the house.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! I am so sorry to hear your dog is vomiting and having diarrhea. First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is he needs to drink to maintain hydration but if he is actively vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake. If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Chloe comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman