Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

Pearl, I'm not sure how to explain it but my labrador is

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm not sure how to explain it but my labrador is about 7 and she is a very docile dog. Lately, for about a week or so, she has been very "needy" so to speak. Anytime a family member moves for any reason she is at our heels whining and wagging her tail, in a seemingly playful manner. We spend lots of time playing with her daily so I don't think she is just wanting to play more. Any ideas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bubbies, or Red (she is a red lab)
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your issue with Red! It sounds like she could be having some separation anxiety issues of some sort. Has anything changed in your household recently? New schedule or new pet or stressful events/storms/etc.? Is she eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, I can't think of anything, she was acting this way for a bit before spring break, my family and I were home a little more than normal during last week...very strange. She seems to be poking, for a better word, at my son the most. He is 11 and has spent the usual amount of time playing with her.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Perhaps something happened that affected her but wasn't enough for you all to notice. If she is otherwise acting normally (appetite, water intake, urination, bowel movements), then you could try purchasing some items at the pet store or online that can sometimes help with mild anxiety. Your vet's office may carry these items as well. One would be a product called Adaptil, which is a pheremone made by nursing mom dogs that can be calming. It comes in a diffuser (plug in) or a collar. Here is the link for the product: Sometimes it is also labeled as D.A.P. (dog appeasing pheremone). Other things you could try would be a thundershirt: which you can find at most pet stores and have a money back guarantee. Or a calming supplement such as Zylkene or Composure:
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
If you try one or more of these, and the behavior is continuing or is worsening at any point, then an exam by your regular vet should be pursued. Please let me know if you have any other questions! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay