brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

Our 11 yr old male MinPin "Earl" had Pancreatitis symptoms

Customer Question

Our 11 yr old male MinPin "Earl" had Pancreatitis symptoms a week ago and was sent to an emergency vet for overnight IV for fluids and further testing. He stayed there 2 days but was sent home with 4 meds. Clavamox, Metronidazole, Ursodiol, and Denamarin. We just tested his liver levels, and most went down. However, the ALT level is still high and GGT went up 9 points. Do the levels normally take a long time to go down? He's not eating too much, but seems to be getting enough overall. His weight stayed the same during this past week.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 10 months ago.
Hi, i can help you with your question today.
In the dog, the half life of ALT is 2-4 days. How many days were between the two blood tests?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One week
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We were instructed to get his levels checked one week after his release from the emergency vet clinic.
And were his ALT levels at all decreased? Do you have the results in front of you?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have the results in front of me, but there's no number for the ALT. Just says >1,000. ALP went down from greater than 2,000 to 801. GGT went up from 48 to 57. Billirubon went down from 5.4 to 4.6
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Typo bilirubin
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cholesterol now in normal range. Had been slightly low.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Amylase went from 1,060 to 624. Lipase from 1,952 to 863. Amazing drops in those!
Great. Do you have the specific ALT values also?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, just that both were greater than 1,000.
I see. Well, there is a chance that the ALT value is also significantly improved, but still too high to measure. The other possibility is that there is still ongoing damage to his liver. The GGT elevation indicates bile stasis (meaning bile flow is blocked). This can happen with inflammation of the liver, physically obstructing the bile duct.
Is he active? Or does he seem lethargic?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He barks and goes outside. But he's elderly so pretty much sleeps a lot normally anyway. Seems interested in food but then doesn't want to eat much. He's on Science Diet dry I/D food. Tried feeding him boiled chicken breast, etc. but he seems to prefer dry food.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried the low-fat canned foods, and he wasn't interested.
OK. There are a couple other things we can try to help him feel better and eat better. We can use an oral pain medication like tramadol (pancreatitis is painful), and we can also use an anti-nausea medication called Cerenia. These are both safe to use with the other 4 medications he is already taking. Aside from that, I would check his blood work in another week and expect measurable improvement. If we are not seeing clear movement in the right direction, I would continue testing. Has he already had ultrasound?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I can see about the other drugs with the emergency vet then. Hoping to diminish the number of drugs vs increasing them though. He had ultrasound. Nothing specific found. Tests for Lepto and Cushings both came back negative.
Excellent. If we have no indication of anything infectious, I would also discuss stopping the Clavamox and metronidazole.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. That's good. Will stopping those possibly increase his appetite? Wondering if they might also be irritating his stomach?
Yes. They are both antibiotics, which could cause an upset stomach.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Good. Because we are seeing that he's more interested in eating.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your help!
You're very welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/