Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Dog has been bleeding from his and gas what looks like

Customer Question

Dog has been bleeding from his butt and gas what looks like a hemorrhoid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: It's a 12 year old lab.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Are you seeing a swelling next to the anal sphincter?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For about a month. He does have what looks like a fatty tumor on his right side near the anus.
Where exactly is this growth located, I can not orient myself. Can you post another pic?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To the right of his butt. On the right side of his tail basically. I'm trying to show you how big by placing my have around it in the photo. Never seems to bug him but now with the bleeding and hemmrhoid looking thing popping out of his butt we want to make sure it's nothing serious.
Thank you, ***** ***** see the size. The red growth is coming out of the rectum?
Can you post a pic taken from the back while he is standing with the tail up, please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried my best. He definitely doesn't like me poking around back there. It's been about two hours since he last pooped and the hemmrhoid looking item looks like it has gone back inside if that's possible.
Thank you, ***** ***** perfect. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.
Friend, what you are seeing is not hemorrhoids, dogs do not get hemorrhoids. This appears to be a rectal polyp, these tend to be benign growth. Though benign they can interfere with defecation, cause bleeding, they can be uncomfortable, etc. Less likely it is also important to rule out a tumor or a rectal prolapse. He will need a complete examination of rectal area by family veterinarian. The treatment for both either a polyp or tumor would be complete surgical excision. It is important to have this done the sooner the better. As they grow it will be more difficult to remove. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home, he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!