Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I have a 7year old Minature Schnauzer and she has recently,

Customer Question

Hello! I have a 7year old Minature Schnauzer and she has recently, the past few days, started wheezing, drinking a lot of water, urinating and having accidents in the house and also trembling all over. She hasn't been acting right and I just thought she was mad and cold from her new haircut( I know that sounds dumb but she is my fur child) . She has been on Prozac for the past two months for very bad anxiety. Could that be the cause or do you think it's more serious?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Paislie
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I am just worried that it is serious and if I should take her to the emergency room?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: Thank You
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that your dog is showing these symptoms. There are a wide variety of causes of increased water intake in dogs and a first morning urine sample evaluation (collected in a tupperware container, refrigerated if more than an hour old), examination, and bloodwork is warranted to determine the origin or these symptoms. Although it is possible it is related to the prozac it is a little unusual it would start suddenly as you describe and this is not a common side effect of this medicationOther differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting her treated and hopefully resolve the symptoms currently experiencing.Because she is trembling and not acting right, if this continues more than an hour or escalates I would consider a veterinary exam to ensure that there is nothing more than a urinary tract infection. Especially her breed being higher risk for diabetes...The wheezing maybe unrelated or pain related as well...I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!