Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog stumbled on the steps and hurt his hind legs and now

Customer Question

My dog stumbled on the steps and hurt his hind legs and now he won't eat.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: While running up the stairs he stumbled on the stairs. And now he won't eat anything. He hurt his hind left leg.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was his hind left leg.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. How old is he? What breed is he? How long ago did he injure this leg? Is he still drinking water?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's 8 months old a German Shepherd. He drinks very little water, but he drinks plenty of milk. And he'll eat a little bit of canned dog food.
That is good that he's drinking some water (watch the milk as it can cause some gastrointestinal upset) and that he's eating a little bit of canned dog food. How long ago did he hurt this leg? Is he putting it down or placing any weight on it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was about 8 days ago. He will walk on it a little. So he does try to walk on it as much as he can. He also does not show any signs of pain. And I don't see any signs of injury. I checked his toes felt his bones xcetera.
Ok. This may be a situation where two separate things are going on. Even with pretty significant leg injuries, most dogs will maintain a pretty good appetite. Short of there being a horrible fracture with discomfort and or a lot of infection in the leg, they usually will continue to eat well. In his situation, could he have some ligament injury or a fracture of a smaller degree? These have to be considerations. Could there be inflammation of the bone called panosetitis or some other growth issue with him being so young? The best thing to do at this time would be a veterinary evaluation so that the leg can be palpated and probably some x-rays taken of it. Is this something that pain medication, rest and time is needed to resolve the issue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I was with him when he stumbled on the three steps, and hurt his hind left leg. It just was not a very serious fall but it would but he did stumble pretty good. I'm guessing that he pulled a ligament real good. As long as you eating on the way out for a little while. Doctors office visits are too expensive.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As long as he's eating, I'm going to wait it out for a couple of weeks.
The important thing here is that he's eating, not losing weight, not vomiting, drinking and being social. If he's doing all these things, could some more time be needed to get the lameness better? That is up in the air.