Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a 3 year old dog that had rapid weight lose, smells

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old dog that had rapid weight lose, smells of garlic, won't eat, will drink, has no energy. I took her to the vet and they said she was in kidney failure. That was about 10 days ago. I'm not sure if she ate something that caused this or they say genetics. But my question is ... Can she recover from this or should we just put her down? She doesn't seem to be in pain but the no appetite worries me because she is basically skin over bone.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your dog! Did they give you any idea of what her kidney values were at (do you have the numbers?) or tell you the Grade of kidney disease? Have they started her on any medications or fluids?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is on Cerenia and aluminum hydroxide. I'm not sure of the numbers.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry, I stepped away from my computer for a bit and then it said your question was closed to further posting. Were you still interested in discussing your dog with someone? There are many dogs that can live for a good length of time with kidney failure, if they are able to stay on a special diet and take medications to help relieve some of their symptoms. Some of this will depend on how severe the kidney failure is, and if they are in a crisis and if we can get them through it. Sometimes if their kidney values are extremely high and they are not eating or drinking well, we need to hospitalize them to do a diuresis of fluids to get them to a better level and then their appetite will hopefully improve. Did your vet talk at all about doing fluid therapy? If there is any way you can find out her Creatinine levels especially, or any other bloodwork abnormalities, it may better help me stage her kidney disease. I can also provide you with some articles on kidney disease and management in pets if you would like. Have you tried anything besides her normal food?