Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I came home and he wasn't moving and the. Went outside and

Customer Question

I came home and he wasn't moving and the. Went outside and pooped and came in and is not moving much and has this pain look on his face. I have him alittle food that I had to feed to him milk and coconut oil. He's alittle better. Question is I have a huge trouble with raccoons and sky my dog could of ate Poop or stepped in it and licked it. Is it deadly and or what signs should I look for. Just worried he's acting like something wrong thank you so much
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Could will be able to digest that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No thank you for your time at this hour
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry about the typos. Very tired. My dog is a Pomeranian weights about 5 pounds and super friendly and and 9 years old. Just if it is raccoon related please advise (:
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Thank you for the photos. Both of you are now in my customer photo folder. Yes, there's a concern when dogs ingest raccoon feces and that's the raccoon roundworm Baylisascaris procyonis. This is a rare but potentially devastating zoonosis (a disease spread between species). This is more common in the midwestern and northeastern United States as well as California. Infected raccoons have also been reported in Georgia and Florida.Clinical illness due to B. procyonis is extremely uncommon in small animal medicine; neurologic and ocular signs are theoretically possible. Rather, the greatest concern is the zoonotic potential to humans. I would look elsewhere for the cause of his lethargy and appearance of pain. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?