Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog is shivering, not eating, bleeding sometimes bleeding

Customer Question

My dog is shivering, not eating, bleeding sometimes bleeding where there is puddles, has little energy, peeing a lot, an drinking a lot. Not sure what's going on.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rampy and around 6 to 7 years old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She was taking in for a bump on her leg an the vet said its nothing to worry about cause nothing was attached to the muscle but now I see that it has grown in size. Don't know if that means anything
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Any dog leaving puddles of blood needs the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. The source of the bleeding needs to be determined and treated appropriately. Lethargy might indicate profound anemia due to external blood loss. Polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), pyometra (infected uterus if she's unspayed), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Rampy's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying. Time is of the essence. You've worried me concerning the severity of Rampy's disorder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's doesn't sound good at all I have set up an appt for Wednesday morning, the earliest I could get one. She is still walking but you can tell she struggling an weak. Is there anything I can do at the moment for her?
Yes, tell the vet hospital that you have an emergency situation and need to have Rampy seen now. I wouldn't hesitate to show up unannounced. You might have to wait a bit but I can't imagine that Rampy wouldn't be seen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I rushed her to the vet. I had to wait awhile but she got in an the dr at the vet hospital told me it could be caused by an infected uterus, that since she's older it's not working properly, an that he's glad I took right away cause it could of gotten way worse. The doctor gave me some amoxicillin to give her for right now till her surgery tomorrow to get spayed. I hope this is what's wrong with her so she can get better. I just wanna THANK YOU for helping me with this an telling me to take her in right away.
Thank you for the update! It sounds like she was diagnosed with a pyometra - an infected endometriosis. She should do nicely once spayed. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi just updating, my bulldog got her surgery done Wednesday and she's seems to be doing okay. Eating a lot better, and not bleeding anymore, has a lot more energy. But she's still shaking and I'm not sure why.
Thank you for the update. She may still be painful and require analgesia in the form of a narcotic such as tramadol. Was she send home with such a drug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only medication I received from the vet was amoxicillin.
Ugh. Imagine going in for a complete ovariohysterectomy and not receiving pain killer. That's unthinkable. A call in to her surgeon is in order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I got a hold of the vet that did the surgery an told me to just give her 250mg aspirin twice a day. I've given her the aspirin but it just doesn't seem like enough to me. I would like to know what I should do or if there's anything I can do more.
Thanks
Aspirin is dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily. It's not a very good visceral analgesic however. See if you can get the vet to prescribe tramadol. If the hospital isn't open tomorrow, the script can be called into a human pharmacy. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen. Acetaminophen is OK at 7 mg/lb thrice daily and it can be given on top of the aspirin.