Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Taking care of 11 day old labs. o JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

***** ***** taking care of 11 day old labs. o
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she has been crying for about 3 hours, mouth dry, not constipated, belly hard and breathing hard.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I would expect that this pup has normalized. Colic is the most likely cause of such behavior at 11 days of age and is addressed by stimulating elimination with a moistened rough rag applied in the direction of chest to abdomen to rear end in an attempt to mimic her mother's tongue. We don't dose these pups with oral medications nor do we perform enemas although carefully inserting a rectal thermometer 1" into her rectum and jiggling it about can stimulate defecation as well. All of the pups should receive their initial roundworming when 2 weeks of age. If roundworms are contributing to the pup's colic, the worming should be curative.Please give me an update on the pup if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?