Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hey, I have a question concerning my dog, she came inside my

Customer Question

hey, I have a question concerning my dog, she came inside my house with a dead bat in her mouth. the bat was shriveled up, black, and looked like a mummy bat in a way. All my dog did with it is have it in her mouth and drop it at my feet. Also, I had a bat in my house sometime last September and I let it out and used the proper way to let it go but it sat there and I thought it would just fly away and so I didn't think much of it I'm 95% sure that it's the same bat. I checked and I found out my dog is due for new rabies shots because it's been three years since she had them, but would my dog have rabies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about Rabies given that your dog is overdue for her Rabies vaccine and she was playing with a dead bat, that was possibly behaving strangely before its death.I don't take Rabies lightly. But it is a virus that needs to live in a living animal, meaning if this bat was shriveled up and "mummified" even if it had Rabies before it died the virus would no longer be viable. That means that your dog could not contract Rabies by handling/chewing on that dead bat. However if there are other bats in the area that she is exposed to they may have the Rabies virus as well, and if she played with a live bat then she could get infected.The new recommended protocol is to immediately re-vaccinate any pet that has had a Rabies vaccine in the past and has a possible exposure incident. Even if the vaccine is outdated by quickly re-vaccinating them, even if they were exposed to Rabies, it is likely their immune system will enough memory from the previous to have time to mount a protective response.So I highly recommend re-vaccinating your pup now, and then watching her closely for the next 45 days (home quarantine). Here's a link to an article that discusses the new recommendation:https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/160301a.aspx Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****