Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

All of a sudden he started hacking and going crazy. trying

Customer Question

all of a sudden he started hacking and going crazy. trying to eat everything like plants and whatever he could find. He wasnt choking. He continued to act this way. He thew up my cats hairball he had ate earlier in the evening but ate it as soon as he threw it up. He continues to pace back and forth like a crazy dog. Tried feeding him food. threw it back up. As of now he has stopped hacking and regurgitating. but is now panting and following us everywhere we go.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sam and he is 2.5 years of age. His breed is a border collie
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: he was laying down calm as can be before he started going crazy
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Sam's behavior suggested gastroesophageal reflux (GERD, acid reflux/heartburn) which isn't a diagnosis but, instead, a symptom of gastrointestinal distress. Such distress often precipitates the ingestion of non-digestible greens which appears to be of evolutionary benefit because it often results in vomiting which then empties the stomach of non-digestibles and infectious agents. I expect that Sam has normalized by now. If not, an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb and repeated in 12 hour intervals should be helpful. Please give me an update on Sam if you wish.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much for your answer! ! He has normalized and its such a relief. It was so scary.
That's good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.