Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 6year old Yorkie won't jump u t his normal places in the

Customer Question

My 6year old Yorkie won't jump u t his normal places in the past couple days! He has been barking a lot and clingy but does not seem to have trouble walking just the jump, however he had been coughing lots and regular. I have gone over his back and legs and seems no avail, the only thing I did notice was he did jump back from my touch when I touched his tummy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Does he have any discomfort, pain or try to avoid pressure on his back, belly or hips?Any appetite loss or gagging/retching/vomiting?Any chance he could have eaten something he should not have (ie fatty foods, bones, plants, medication, etc)?Any chance of a fall, slip or trauma?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He did throw up once and has been a bit lethargic. I did not see him fall but he is a go getter but not so in the last day
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Based on his signs, we do need to tread with care. Often a refusal to jump without overt lameness will be due to back, hip, or abdominal pain. The reason they don't jump with these is because the action of jumping increases pressure on the belly and pulls the muscles associated with the spine and hips tight when they do. So, his behavior isn't unexpected if he is sore. And given his reaction to your abdominal palpation as well as the vomiting, we'd be most concerned that is our source of discomfort. In regards ***** ***** at this site for those signs, we'd be worried about possible pancreatitis, gastroenteritis, and possible ingestion of something harmful.With this all in mind, as long as you are sure Tommy as not eaten anything he should now have, we can consider trialing him on an antacid to counter GI upset. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.Afterwards, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and also can help settle pancreatitis. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.Overall, Tommy's refusal to jump is likely a side effect of discomfort that sounds to be based in the abdomen. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. Though if these signs persist, he is tender in his belly, or there is a chance he ate something harmful; then we'd want his vet to examine him. They can assess his hydration, rule out pancreatitis, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gut safe pain relief, +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )