Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a question about salt poisoning

Customer Question

I have a question about salt poisoning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So I was salting steaks for dinner, that's where you completely cover both sides of the steak with salt for an hour and wash it off, anyway it was a small piece that he grabbed and swallowed but it was covered in salt best guess maybe 30-50 grams of salt, he's a 50 lbs dog. He kind of involuntarily threw up a a good amount of white foam maybe 45 minutes later, I gave him 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide and then threw a bunch more white foam 20 minutes later. From my calculations he was under the 90 grams that was toxic for him so I wasn't too woried as he was acting normal. I fed him dinner about 45 minutes ago. He ate a little slower than normal, but are it all. He just threw up 3 times, all his dinner plus the steak. He's still acting normal, just a little tired because it's his bed time but should I be woried. It's now 3.5 hours after eating the steak.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
After some calculations I'm guessing closer to 30 grams of salt
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. As you've already seen, Sam wasn't intoxicated by salt and his vomiting ensured that that would remain the case. The chief complaints for this type of intoxication are polydipsia (increased thirst) initially but this dissipates as the disease progresses. More serious intoxication will cause polyuria (increased volume of urine), vomiting, diarrhea, and altered mental status. Signs largely reflect central nervous system dysfunction. Severe intoxications will cause ataxia ("drunken sailor"), seizures, and coma which can be preceded by muscular weakness and tachypnea (increased respiratory rate). He should have awoken today with no lasting effects of his dietary indiscretion. Please give me an update on Sam if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He seems fine although he did throw some blood this morning, is that just from irritation?
Most likely, yes. Peroxide works by irritating the gastric mucosa. Please administer an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb and repeated at 12 hour intervals twice. If hematemesis (blood in the vomitus) persists, his vet will prescribe sucralfate - a liquid bandage for the GI tract. It would be best to fast him for 12 hours but leave water down. If drinking induces more vomiting, please replace his water with ice cubes for him to lick. Please continue our conversation if you wish.