Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My black lab Indi has started a slow drip of blood from her

Customer Question

My black lab Indi has started a slow drip of blood from her nose that I see in the morning after sleeping all night. She was exhaling with a louder sound this past week and has a reduced appetite today. She is not as happy as usual either but I attributed that to our just moving to a new apartment.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.I am sorry to hear about your pets recent nose bleed. Nose bleeds in older pets are worrisome because this can mean some serious disease processes that have to ruled out including fungal infection, neoplasia, and a coagulopathy (bleeding disorder). The nasal turbinates are a sensitive network of bone that can be eaten away by these aggressive pathogens and lead to uncontrolled bleeding. 1) Is the bleeding continuous (longer than 1 hr in duration)? 2) How long has he had these bleeding episodes? 3) What is her gum color? Nice and pink or pale? - Dr. H