Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our dog has something wrong with his skin and he keeps shaking

Customer Question

our dog has something wrong with his skin and he keeps shaking his head looked in his ear and it was gross and smelly first what can i put in his ear to help clean it out he will not let us touch him also he scratches and scratches and is losin all his hair he is around 6-7 years old small breed about 12-15 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: he doesn't have fleas
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm curious about how you would put something in his ear if he won't let you touch him? Such advanced skin and ear problems need the attention of his vet. Your dog is likely to suffer from an allergic dermatitis and otitis (ear inflammation), secondary bacterial or yeast infection, and perhaps an underlying mange as well. You can't know how best to treat him without his vet thoroughly examining him including performing diagnostics in the form of skin scrapings, cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of your dog's skin surface and ear canals), and fungal and/or bacterial skin culture. It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you from here but I, too, would need to physically examine your dog and perform that testing before I could know how best to treat him.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.