Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Female 13 years old Had only eaten a small amount in 2 days.

Customer Question

Female 13 years old Had only eaten a small amount in 2 days. Ate small amount today. Later thru up. Laying down seems lifeless Stomach is very hard, stomach is quivering/Her legs are extended out as she lays.Nose is cold but dry ,gums are white. coonhound has always been healthly Gave 2 shots of penicillin morning and night.Has all of her shots,and is on heart worm preventor.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that your girl isn't eating normally, vomited, is lethargic, has white gums, and has a bloated looking abdomen.Eating non food items is called pica. Some dogs exhibit pica when they are anemic, nauseous or sick from organ failure.Possible causes of a decreased appetite include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc., metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, a partial gastrointestinal obstruction, or even cancer are possible causes as well.Unfortunately her swollen abdomen and pale gums point toward shock due to something going on in her abdomen. That can be related to a uterine infection (pyometra) or a bleeding abdominal tumor, or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides or tick borne diseases and internal bleeding. Common cancers in older dogs that cause pressure and bleeding in the abdomen are hemangiosarcoma of the spleen and lymphosarcoma. Both can invade the abdominal organs and lymph nodes. These tumors can press on the stomach and intestines and make them feel full or, especially the hemangiosarcoma, bleed with increases in blood pressure which would make her feel lethargic and explain her bloated looking abdomen.I do not believe that Penicillin injections are going to help her at all.As sick as she is now I think an emergency examination, some blood tests, some radiographs of her abdomen, and an ultrasound of her abdomen are great places to start. It will allow them to look at organ structure and lymph node or internal organ changes and collect aspirates of any abnormal areas. Radiographs are pretty good at looking at organ size and placement, and seeing big changes, whereas an ultrasound will allow visualization of more subtle changes.Ideally she needs to be seen on an emergency basis tonight. If that isn't possible I would recommend that you keep her very, very quiet tonight.To try and settle her stomach today and improve her appetite you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
 These will reduce stomach acid and can help settle her stomach. They are quite safe and can be used few days.Offer a homemade bland diet to stimulate her appetite of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice.While I am not sure either of those things will help they are really all you can do for her safely at home tonight.My concern however in a dog with white gums is that she may not make it until tomorrow.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****