Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My 5 week old puppy is vomiting everything he eats he is not

Customer Question

My 5 week old puppy is vomiting everything he eats he is not keeping anything down not even water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Gabby. I am sorry to hear Nero is so sick. It is sounding serious. When is the last time he kept food or water down? Is he still trying to eat? Is he having any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He hasn't kept anything down since we got him Friday night. He is hungry and eats and drinks well but after his nap as soon as he wakes up he vomits everything. He was wormed once and we did see a dead worm in his stool but his stools are formed no diarrhea
Ok and did he have any food change when you got him? Are you feeding him what the breeder fed him? What is the food you are feeding him?
Do you know how much he weighs?
What are you feeding him? Is that what the breeder fed him?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We don't know what the breeder fed him we can't contact them no answer we are feeding him earth born holistic puppy vantage small portions at a time. We don't know how much he weight
Ok thank you.I am hoping he just has an upset stomach from the food change.Fist I would give him an over the counter human stomach acid reducer like 10mg Pepcid AC or 75mg Zantac. Give him 1/4 of a tablet every 12 hours.For now feed him a bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice. I would put it in a food processor so it is chopped up and well blended. Feed him one spoonful first. Wait an hour to make sure it stays down and then gradually give him more. If that does not help then he definitely need to see a vet.To help keep his blood sugar up put a teaspoon of karo syrup or honey in his mouth every 3-4 hours until he stops vomiting and he is eating normally.If his gums feel dry he is dehydrated. Give him children's pedialyte drink with a syringe or eye dropper every hour until his gums are moist.The emergency clinic is open 24/7. You probably know that already and it is always a good option.
If he is still vomiting in the morning he definitely needs to see the regular vet.If he is doing well, keep him on the chicken and rice for 48 hours then start to mix in his regular puppy food.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?