Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

We are considering the purchase of a female Golden Retriever

Customer Question

We are considering the purchase of a female Golden Retriever puppy who is smaller than the others in the litter, the runt and displays a 'tuft' of hair or cowlick at the top of her head. Do these issues indicate further problems.... skeletal, neurological????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First congratulations on your potential new addition! Having a caslick or cowlick on the head is a simple variation in coat and is not an indicator of any issues orthopedic, neurologic, or even dermatologic. It will be more of a characteristic trait to his coat and even though he is smaller doesn't indicate he will have any issues either. I can tell you that often the smallest puppy tends to grow up to be one of the biggest! My Shepherd was the smallest of the litter and ended up being 20 pounds larger than her mom in stature and weight so sometimes they simply aren't as dominant getting to mom and thrive more in an individual home. That being said Golden's can have heart conditions so I would advise a veterinary exam within 48 hours of adoption to ensure you are adopting a healthy puppy to relieve the concerns but also should be written into a contract that there is a guarantee, typically of 48-72 hours after adoption having an exam is coveredI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!