Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

8 year old Australian shepherd. Excessive panting, drooling,

Customer Question

8 year old Australian shepherd. Excessive panting, drooling, rapid respiration. Started last night. Very restless.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 8 months ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Dakota. I'm sorry that she isn't well at the moment. In all honesty what you are describing is concerning to me. Normally when a patient is breathing quickly especially with drooling it is a sign that something is going very wrong internally. My main concern with Dakota is that this sounds horribly like the beginning of a bloat. As you are probably aware, this is a life threatening condition where, for whatever reason (and nobody quite knows why), the patients stomach fills with air. As you can imagine, this is very uncomfortable and makes them feel sick - which leads to panting, breathing quickly, restlessness (unable to sit down for long and pacing around) and drooling. In some cases the stomach can grow so large that it starts to squash the big blood vessels in the area, which can affect the rest of the body. Most of the time, the stomach then goes on to twist, which requires extremely urgent surgery to sort - it is one of the few absolutely genuine emergencies that we have. If there is any change in the shape of her abdomen, or if she is panting and restless, then I think you should get to an ER vets as a matter of urgency. She may need urgent surgery. Other things which can cause the signs you are describing is another cause of stomach ache (colic). I would worry about pancreatitis, which can feel dreadful, or sometimes eating something and causing an upset. Both of these would usually cause patients to be sick, but sometimes they can cause them to only feel sick, in which case they drool a lot. Another condition that can cause panting and respiration changes is an internal bleed - they run out of oxygen so breathe more rapidly to try and get it into the tissues (which doesn't work) - called "air hunger". I don't think this is very likely, but you need to be aware of it. If you were one of my clients and called the clinic describing a patient doing what Dakota is doing I would tell you to drop everything and bring her to the clinic immediately. I'm sorry that I think there is potentially something seriously wrong with her, and that you need an ER visit, but I do. I am genuinely worried about her. I hope the above has helped, and sorry again that I think an ER visit to the vets is warranted. If you need any clarification or further information then get back to me. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Stomach is not hard or distended. She had a new butcher bone USDA yesterday before she started acting distressed. she calms down considerably when one of us is near.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I took bone away this am
I'm pleased to hear that her stomach isn't hard or distended, and that she calms down when you are with her. For another check if possible I would see what her heart rate is - if it is over about 90-100 for a dog of her size that is another sign that she is in trouble and would get her checked out. She may have a piece of bone causing her stomach ache. She may have pancreatitis, which is now top of my list if her stomach hasn't changed size. This is, as it sounds, inflammation of the pancreas. This organ produces the enzymes the body needs to digest, and when it is inflamed it essentially starts digesting itself. One of the most common causes of this for dogs is eating something high fat, and which they don't usually eat. Whilst simple pancreatitis isn't life threatening (just very painful) occasionally it becomes very serious. Successful treatment involves intravenous fluids to give them some support, pain medication and medication to calm their stomach, as well as a low-fat diet when they are eating again. I'm pleased that her abdomen hasn't changed shape or hard, but I still am concerned and think it would be worthwhile getting her checked. Rosie.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dakota. How is everything going?

Rosie_MRCVS