Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

From what I have been looking up on line it appears to be

Customer Question

hi from what I have been looking up on line it appears to be black skin disease-- she is a 5 year old german shepard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: River
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I had her on antibiotics from the vet, they didn't help-- I saw a holistic vet that gave her herbal suppliments..that didnt work..I gave her dynovite which seems to be starting to help however now she wont eat the food if I mix it in. I also purchased something called nzymes that I am about to try to use. she has a thyroid problem as well. she is not overweight at all, and she is definitely an anxious dog too.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I truly apologize no one has assisted you both yet todayBlack skin disease often is a reflection of chronic skin changes resulting in thickening and scarring of the skin. Treating the underlying cause can resolve the black skin and hopefully help the coat. I would strongly urge you to consider seeing a veterinary dermatologist or having your veterinarian do a biopsy of the skin to diagnose the underlying cause to begin appropriate treatment.It may mean a hypoallergenic diet, a diet where the protein (dogs are more allergic to proteins versus grains) is broken down past the point of the body recognizing the protein, called hydrolyzed and available through your veterinarian along with a strong shampoo often yeast treatment and possibly treating with apoquel which is a marvelous new drug that helps treat skin conditions such as atopy. I have had dogs that are in your beloved River's situation that within a year have a full plush coat once starting this medication. CLICK HERE for more information on this treatmentI hope this helps give you guidelines, often if the antibiotics didn't help it is because the wrong antibiotics were being administered and / or the skin is having such a deep pyoderma that it requires 2-3 months of treatment to see resolves along with the measures I have listed abovePlease let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am online for about an hour before taking a short dinner break so I hope you are able to view my responses...
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!