Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I think my dog ate 1 or 2 of my venlafaxines JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

I think my dog ate 1 or 2 of my venlafaxines
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: ZOEY, 1
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thank you
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since he ate the pills? 2- How many milligrams were the pills? 3- How much does he weigh? 4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
12 or more hours
16 lbs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She seems ok, but not wanting to do much or eat
1- Each pill was 150mg? 2- Is he showing any symptoms?
Were the pills extended or prompt release?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not eating, just wants to lay down
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Extended release
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, based on her weight she took a dose of 41.6mg/kg; with Venlafaxine extended release we can begin to see serious effects at doses of 2.75 mg/kg. As you can see she has taken a serious dose. At this dose besides lethargy we can see: Tremors, seizures, hyperthermia, cardiac tachycardia, etc. Unfortunately after 12 hours of ingestion inducing vomiting is not going to help as she has absorbed the medication. From this point forward there is not much you can do at home, she needs to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands on examination and supportive care (IV fluids, etc.). Highly recommend having her checked today by nearest ER veterinarian. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter