Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 16 pound mini schnauzer (12 years old) caught her foot and

Customer Question

My 16 pound mini schnauzer (12 years old) caught her foot and broke a nail right off. It has stopped bleeding. Can I give her advis for pain? She is taking mess for a heart murmur and anxiety
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It happened last night. She is shaking and doesn't want to leave her bed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
No, you must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food and repeated in 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily are acceptable. Have her stand in soapy water twice daily in order to disinfect the traumatized area. Over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens in your local pharmacy) is a good choice.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?