Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I have a basset hound that is 14 years old. She is gaging

Customer Question

I have a basset hound that is 14 years old. She is gaging like she is going to throw up. Or make a sound but nothing comes out. We are very poor so I need a natural way to help my dog. Can you help me?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I truly apologize no one has assisted you both yet today There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situationUnfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.I hope this information makes sense! If the cough is productive, there is lethargic or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!