jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

I took my coonhound mix hiking yesterday on a trail (uphill)

Customer Question

I took my coonhound mix hiking yesterday on a trail (uphill) in the desert she has been on once before with no issues. She began to seek out shade and lie down and then almost did not want to move but since we were on a mountain I had to force her to come back downhill. There was no limping but she there seems to be something going on around her hind legs. She seemed to get overheated also. The temperature was around 85 and we stopped periodically to drink water. She did not want to move much at home either. And I had to force her to go outside to pee and after she just lay down in the grass. She has to pass over small rocks and she really didn't want to. She has drank water and eaten last evening. She is under three years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is not her normal energetic and fast moving self. She is slow and does not want to move around much. She also did not move her bowels this morning as is normal for her but did eat last night.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. It really doesn't seem like she got too overheated especially if you were stopping periodically to drink water. Symptoms leading up to heat stroke include heavy panting, deep breathing, excessive drooling, then dry gums as your dog becomes dehydrated. You will also see weakness, confusion, inattention, vomiting and diarrhea and sometimes even bleeding. The gums may also go gray or very pale as well and will progress to seizures and or coma if no treatment is started. If your dog’s temperature reaches 105F, then it is very dangerous and your dog needs to be seen immediately. Most dogs I’ve seen with heat stoke have been ones that were trapped in hot cars, or left with no water or shade in a concrete kennel situation. You may want to carry a thermometer to check for heat stroke. If your dog's temperature is over 103F, you can use a damp cool towel or ice packs on your dog's abdomen and feet to try and cool your dog down. You can also use alcohol on the pads of you dog's feet. Offer cool water (not cold). If it is over 104F, start cool down procedures and take your dog to the nearest emergency Vet. Of course, this is for future reference. Here is a great site on heat stroke overheating Dogs can also develop DIC after heat stroke so you may want to familiarize yourself with the symptoms just in case. It really doesn't sound like this applies either but I do want to mention it. It sounds like she may have pulled a muscle or even twisted her leg or aggrevated an existing condition such as arthritis or even a disc injury. All of these can lead to a dog having weakness or pain in the rear area. Pain can lead a dog to increased panting and even trembling. It would not be unusual for a dog to twist a leg while climbing and if she twisted to catch herself and prevent a fall, she may have injured a disc. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here: Large dog breeds sometimes suffer from a condition called degenerative myelopathy which can also cause problems with the rear legs and paralyses. You can read about this here: It is seen in some coonhounds. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here. If you are going to have her seen quickly, I'd hold off on aspirin as it may take up to a week before other antiinflammatory medications can be given. I'd switch her to a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to give her stomach a break from any nausea pain might cause. Definitely examine her paws and be sure there are no small rocks in the pads or cuts. Try and keep her on surfaces that don't shift if at all possible. If the pebbles shift it may contribute to any discomfort she might be having. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
Hi Rona,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sakura. How is everything going?
Just a quick followup to see how your girl is doing?