Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog ate what looked like a dead, smushed toad in the street.

Customer Question

My dog ate what looked like a dead, smushed toad in the street. Looked like a couple of days old at least. He is a 50 lbs Doberman pup. We like in Jax Fla. Thx
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your Doberman will be able to digest that. What is the Doberman's name?
Customer: Zeus
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
My primary concern is toxicosis associated with toads of the genus Bufo in your area. When these are ingested, it's prudent to induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 45 ml (3 measuring tablespoons) by means of a small poultry baster placed between Zeus's cheek teeth and cheek. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, the dose should be repeated. This is predicated upon his ingesting the toad within 2 hours.Ingested toads can cause severe changes in Zeus's blood pressure, arrhythmias (irregular heart rates), and electrolyte disturbances. How is Zeus currently acting, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?