Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have 2 golden retrievers, 70 and 85 lbs., while left alone

Customer Question

I have 2 golden retrievers, 70 and 85 lbs., while left alone ate 4-6 Tri Heart Plus pills as evidenced by and empty pack on the floor. No idea if one dog ate all, or some combination. Should I be concerned? If so what should we do on a Sunday?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: March 31 that had their monthly dose. Thats it, thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
Please don't be alarmed. The amount of ivermectin in those pills is miniscule. I'll dose dogs at 100X the amount in one pill when treating manges. The other ingredient is pyrantel pamoate which is poorly absorbed from the GI tract and has a wide range of safety. Dosages up to 7X recommended generally don't result in toxic reactions - emesis, usually. You might see transient GI distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea from ingesting such an unusual "food" but toxicity isn't likely.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.