Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog was taking rimadyl and had a bad reaction the vet then

Customer Question

my dog was taking rimadyl and had a bad reaction the vet then switched to tramadol a day later its been going on 2 days and my golden cant seem to wake up she has her eyes open and seems to be alert and looks at you when you talk to her will she wake soon very worried please help thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
It sounds as if you're seeing an adverse effect to the tramadol. The dose either needs to be reduced or this drug stopped altogether. Dosing ranges between 2-5 mg/lb up to every 8 hours. It's usually well-tolerated but we can see central nervous system effects (excessive sedation, agitation, anxiety, tremor, dizziness, as well as GI effects (inappetence, vomiting, constipation to diarrhea). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will she be alright and how long till the drug leaves her system
Yes, I don't expect her to be in danger and she should normalize within 8 hours. The half-life of this drug is only ~ 2 hours. She's an older dog and she might not be able to excrete the drug as quickly as a much younger dog can, however, particularly if her liver isn't working up to snuff. If you don't see a positive change within 12 hours, Sadie's vet needs to know, tramadol mustn't be given again, and Sadie's liver function needs to be evaluated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?