Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Hot spot. can i use desonide cream on it JA: I'm sorry to

Customer Question

hot spot. can i use desonide cream on it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey, she's a yellow lab and she is 12 years old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! So sorry to hear your dog has a hot spot! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection2.) Trim the hair around the hot spot. Hot spots thrive on moisture and hair entrapped on top will allow this to spread. Please use caution with scissors3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a desonide on the area after cleaning but please wipe off after ten minutes to ensure that Bailey is not going to ingest the cream and reduce risk of absorption5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess6.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch, this may cause mild sedation7.) Dom Boro which is an astringent over the counter you can purchase at your local pharmacy which can help "suck" out the moisture of a hot spot and help it heal. Place a tablet or granules in warm water then a cloth into the warm water and onto the skin in ten minute intervals once to twice daily. Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman