Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Yesterday our neutered male Belgian shepherd,

Customer Question

Yesterday our neutered male Belgian shepherd, approximately nine years old, 135 pounds, had an accident of diarrhea some solid in our kitchen; he never goes in house. Since then he's had smaller episodes of spotted diarrhea as he walks around and tries to go. He has signaled to us multiple times that he needed to go out to go poop and nothing's come out. We have watched him try at least 6 to 7 times and nothing's come out. He was given a cup of senior Blue dog food and water is available, he has eaten and drank water. We are very worried that he can't go to the bathroom.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How old is your dog? 2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Drake is nine years old. He did not eat anything out of the ordinary that we know of. Our other dog it's the same dog food she's fine.We explained everything that was going on in two comment areas: the stating the problem part and another part that asked what we've done.Did you read both of those; they contained a lot of information
I did read your statements and no where did you mention his age or if had gotten into anything out of the ordinary. Any blood in stool?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There was no blood in the stool and I did mention his age right after I said he was neutered Belgian shepherd within the first sentence. We've never used this service before we just paid $36 to ask this question you haven't told us anything yet
Friend, I am going to opt out and allow another expert to help you. I simply needed some information to give you answer. If we can't do this I don't think I could help you. I am sorry.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you read the statements you would see we have given you all the information that pertains to the problem with our dog. I don't understand why you're opting out without helping us we want our $36 back then. It is Sunday that is the only reason we have contacted this site. You opted out and we've been told that we have to wait 24 hours for response. In 24 hours we can take our dog to our vet. Please reimburse our money.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools. What you describe of the urgency to defecate without production is an indicator of colonic spasms and hopefully we can determine how best to get him comfortable...I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken. If he is having such difficulties I would wait 8-12 hours to feed to allow the spasms to taper - Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle his stomach (30 mg for his size). If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily (60 mg for his size)- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools- If he is up for it get him up and walking. This helps tremendously with spasms of the colon and provide relief. If this does work you should be able to start the small meals of white rice and lean boiled meat soonafterIf there does develop any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon! If this is not satisfactory or you would prefer I am happy to send the question to customer service, please just let me know how you would like to proceed... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Good evening, I wanted to check in on Drake to see how things went today? Were my suggestions helpful? I would love an update and if you requested a refund I hope that information was provided to you... Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both todayIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you