Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My pug is keeping me up at night with labored panting. It

Customer Question

My pug is keeping me up at night with labored panting. It is a purposeful pant. She also will pee and not wake up. I will find her laying in pee
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes this panting is what she usually does during the day if she wants something. She will doze for a couple minutes and jerk awake doing it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Pugs like your sweet gal, are brachycephalic dogs and due to this, they often have a very narrow airway and will have these problems. If it appears to be getting worse, then there are medications that your vet can do to help or even surgical procedures to open the airways. Have your vet do a complete physical exam on your gal to determine if anything can be done to help her through this. The urinary incontinence is a normal hormonal condition that occurs after being spayed since estrogen aids the urinary sphincter. Once the estrogen levels decrease , they can have this urinary incontinence that will respond ot medication such as Proin that your vet can prescribe. There are other issues such as Diabetes that can cause this incontinence so it is important that your vet run blood work while performing this physical exam. Your vet will be able to determine treatments for your sweet gal after getting the results of the testing. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****