Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog is taking short, fast breaths. This is not normal for

Customer Question

My dog is taking short, fast breaths. This is not normal for her. I don't know what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Daisy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Daisy's breathing is definitely a big concern tonight and there are a few things that could be causing this breathing in a senior aged beagle including anything from a primary cardiovascular issue, to pain from a musculoskeletal or abdominal issue, or even an internal organ problem. If her breathing is unchanged and she is resting but continuing with the short, fast breathing, then I would definitely recommend for your to get Daisy seen by your local ER vet straight away. These respiratory issues should always be seen promptly as they can quickly spiral out of control and become life threatening. If she has improved a little since your initial message, then please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if you can count the number of breaths per minute she is taking and she is taking more than 40, then this is definitely a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.All the best with Daisy, and as above - if you can get her seen now, that really is the best way forward to ensure this doesn't spiral out of control. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.