Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our basset hound is close to death. She was dx with abdominal

Customer Question

Our basset hound is close to death. She was dx with abdominal masses and fluid 5 wks ago.. Gradually going downhill. Around midnight she started hemorrhaging from the mouth. She finally laid down and was resting and we thought she was going to pass away. She has since awakened. Still bleeding, but getting gurgly It will be difficult to get her to the emergency vet. Would medication help her pass. I am a nurse and my husband is a physician. I might have medication from recent serious illness that I could give her. Can you offer any suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am rather confused. Is someone going to respond in a few more minutes. I am not sure how this site works. I agreed to pay more for priority service and also a phone call. Please let me know if I will be hearing soon. I have an urgent situation.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet gal and, unfortunately, due to my location, I am unable to make phone calls. I hope that I can help. It is not wise to attempt to euthanize your gal using human medications since we never know how these will affect her and this could make what could be a calming experinece for her terrible....we have all seen this many time. The best thing you can do for her now is to make her as comfortable as possible. You can do this by giving her Benadryl at 2 mg per pound of your sweet girl's weight every 12 hrs. This will make her drowsy so she will eb able to rest until something can be done to help her. If her organs have failed, she may pass on her own during this time frame but if she does nto, you can get her to your vet or a mobile vet as soon as you are able. I know you would prefer to have her pass at home but this may not be possible and your vet will make this as humane and kind as possible. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****