Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog was sick yesterday, throwing up and shaking. now she

Customer Question

my dog was sick yesterday, throwing up and shaking. now she is constipated and unable to poop. When she tries she is making a choking sound. please advise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Sheba. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 10 - 15 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine, there are quite a range of possible causes for Sheba's vomiting and apparent constipation. Given her age we have to consider everything from an infectious cause, to intestinal parasites, to a toxicity or poisoning, an internal organ issue, or even a primary endocrine problem. Hopefully she is relatively quiet and settled right now and definitely encourage her to drink plenty of water. If she is still vomiting and unable to keep water down, then she will very quickly become dehydrated, so if this is the case, you will need to get her seen tonight. If she isn't keen on water, you could try making up a fresh chicken broth for her. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids and feed her the warm soup. Increasing her water intake will definitely assist her if she is indeed lethargic. You could also add a little cooked mashed pumpkin to this to add some fiber and hopefully assist in getting things moving.It could actually be that she isn't constipated, but she is straining due to 'tenesmus' which commonly occurs around or before diarrhea - keep a close eye on what (if anything) comes out when she is straining. Also make sure she is up to date with deworming medication and treat her if she is due using a reliable allwormer such as Drontal or Milbemax. For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid . Tonight, you are going to need to keep a close eye on her. If you can please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.Best pf luck with Sheba, and hopefully these symptoms settle overnight. If she is still straining and making that choking sound, or if she begins vomiting again, then definitely get her seen tomorrow. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 months ago.
Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sheba. How is everything going?

Pet Doc