Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

I have a middle aged slightly over weight corgi female I am

Customer Question

I have a middle aged slightly over weight corgi female I am house sitting for. When arriving there a bit time ago the dog seemed to be having some breathing problems. Sounded like a very hoarse and raspy breathing and recently had began a cough. Could this be allergies or a common dog cold. Recommendatios plz
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding the Corgi girl you are currently caring for. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. As you can probably imagine, there are actually a large range of possible causes for raspy breathing and coughing like this. It is possible this girl could have anything from infectious canine cough (kennel cough - hopefully she has been vaccinated), to canine influenza (currently sweeping the states), to heart or lung worm, a primary cardiorespiratory issue, and yes - potentially even an allergic issue. If this happened all of a sudden today, then an allergic issue is more likely, but in general allergic airway disease is relatively uncommon in dogs. You could certainly try this girl with a little benadryl as it will do no harm - the typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: . For tonight, because there are a range of things that could be going on with this girl, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.Hopefully this raspy breathing and coughing settles overnight. If the parameters above aren't normal, definitely get her along to your local ER vet tonight. IF they are fine, but she is still coughing tomorrow, do try and get her seen during the day. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.