Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Swollen red eye, I believe it's conjunctivitis JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

Swollen red eye, I believe it's conjunctivitis
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Copper, she's 10 and a corgi Shepard mix
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: It doesn't seem to be bothering her and her eyes are displaying nirmally
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Copper. Did this swelling occur all of a sudden, or has it been like this for a few days now?I will wait to hear from you.Kind Regards,Dr E
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We just noticed it today
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for that. Is is the actual eyeball, or the tissues around the eye including the eyelids? Ie - is the eye swollen shut?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's only the the tissue around the eye and the lud
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for that. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could have caused this swelling around Copper's eye, but an allergic reaction or bug bite are the most likely causes here if this has all occurred today. Given this is likely an allergic reaction to something, you could try Copper with a little Benadryl. The typical dose for this type of issue is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: . You could also try some cold tea on her swollen eye - the tannins in the tea help to settle a mild inflammation. Just make up some tea, allow it to cool, dip a cotton wool ball in to it and use this to gently wipe her eye. You can do this 3 - 4 x today and tomorrow. If the eye is still swollen and painful by midday tomorrow - you will need to get your girl seen by your local Vet. Likewise, if she is particularly painful now and is rubbing at her eye constantly, you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet now in case this is another issue such as glaucoma. If this is just conjunctivitis, generally the surrounding eye tissues aren't inflammed, but even if it was, the tea would definitely help here.I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc