Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My shihtsu always jumps on the bed and couch. She has no trouble

Customer Question

My shihtsu always jumps on the bed and couch. She has no trouble walking and running, but hesitates trying to jump up on furniture. Her back legs seem to be fine but seems a little weak on her front legs. Could she have sprained something near her front legs:
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your Shih Tzu girl Angel. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with Angel to be affecting her front legs, but given her age, it is most likely that she has a degree of arthritis in her elbows and carpi (wrists). Of course your local vet will need to palpate her forelimbs and perhaps even take an xray to confirm this diagnosis first and foremost, and I would definitely recommend this is done in the next couple of weeks. While it is ok to give buffered aspirin to her in the short term, it won't do too much with regards ***** ***** relief. For this reason, I would prefer you to get her seen at some in the next few days if you can. Here your Vet can palpate all of her limbs and try and ascertain the exact cause of her lameness. Of course we need xray to confirm arthritis, but we can get a pretty good idea from palpation and then carry out a treatment trial with anti inflammatories rather than putting her through an anesthetic to take the xrays. There are several anti inflammatories available that will likely help Angel immensely - and your Vet may also add in another drug such as tramadol or buprenorphine if she seems to be particularly painful at the moment. If for some reason you can't get to the Vet tomorrow or Monday - you could continue with the buffered aspirin for now. The typical dose used is 5mg per pound of body weight tiwce daily and you can read more about this online here: . This is only really a short term solution however and you really should get Angel checked over within the next few days if you can't tomorrow morning. You should also try and limit the exercise Angel does to more frequent short exercise rather than long treks once or twice per day. Your Vet can also prescribe some veterinary joint supplements (glucosamine/chondroitin) or you can find some to purchase online by doing a google search for glucosamine chrondroitin supplements for dogs. You could also consider hydrotherapy or physiotherapy for your girl as these help to maintain muscle mass.Best of luck with your girl and I hope your vet can arrange an appropriate pain relief for your girl in the long term. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.