Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 6 lb yorkie ate an apple core with seeds. What should we

Customer Question

My 6 lb yorkie ate an apple core with seeds. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since he ate the apple core?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
10 minutes
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, it is very likely he will be able to digest or pass the core in the feces without any problems. This is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.2- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the core out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract. 3- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter