How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14859
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a dog who ate some milk chocolate rolo candy and kisses

Customer Question

We have a dog who ate some milk chocolate rolo candy and kisses
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We were trying to see if we should give her activated charcoal Son had it in his room..in a ziplock back not sure how much
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ate chocolate. They do need to eat a certain amount to get sick, and the type of chocolate will also determine how much toxin is present and thus how sick your pup gets.How much does your pup weigh?Can you estimate how much chocolate she ate (1 ounce, 2 ounces?)? For reference a bag of "fun size" chocolate bars is usually about 12-13 ounces.Milk chocolate is less toxic than dark, and dark is less toxic than baking chocolate. She ate one of the less toxic types. Some of the chocolates were chocolate covered candies (Rolos) so that should lessen the total amount of chocolate he was exposed to.How long ago did this occur?Do you have any 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It was the bottom maybe 1/4 of a gallon size bag..we have tried peroxide before and she never vomits for us..she has done similar in the past and has gotten through it ok..not sure perhaps 2 hours ago maybe..we went out to dinner
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We gave her two activated charcoal pills 280 mg each..I cannot figure out her dose for a 50 lb dog..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The last time she ate chocolate, I squirted the peroxide in her month 3x with no vomitting..she must have an iron stomach
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Some dogs won't vomit with peroxide no matter what.I recommend 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight (no more than 3 tablespoons even though she is >35 pounds) if you want to try it. It might help to give it with food or bread chunks. Then run her around a bit to get the peroxide to bubble.Repeat once in 10 minutes if no vomiting.A 50 pound pup would need to eat 7 ounces of pure milk chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and almost 14 ounces of milk chocolate to see hyper-excitability and an elevated heart rate.At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.Did she eat more than 7 ounces of pure milk chocolate? It doesn't sound like it from your description.If she ate less than that amount of milk chocolate it should not be necessary to induce vomiting, or give charcoal.Activated charcoal is dosed at 1 GRAM per pound of body weight or 50 GRAMs for a dog her size. If the tablets you have are 280mg then she would need to take 178 of them. (There are 1,000mgs per grams, so 280mg = 0.28GRAMS). It isn't reasonable to use those tablets for her.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
At this point if you cannot get her to vomit then you cannot change things much at home, all you can do is watch her for further symptoms.Just in case she is extra sensitive I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder for long.In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours.We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours.If she seems nauseous it may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms. But if she seems fine I would take a watch and see approach.If she seems at all nauseous to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours one and one half 10mg tablets)OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of a 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.If she does seem nauseous at all to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently. If you notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats) repetitive tremors or seizures then she should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control his heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall. But I don't think that will happen given your description of the amount she ate, and that it wasn't pure milk chocolate.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I guess the charcoal wouldn't work at with what I have then. Some of the candies were filled with caramel ..and I wish I new how much..we are all just guessing how much was left in the bag from easter. That is actually much more peroxide I was thinking..3 table spoons is a good amount. It is very late here, dark outside and cold making this difficult. We are watching her..filled up her water bowl. We are about 3-4 hours past eating time, our best guess of course..at this point I am not sure if I should try the 3 tablespoon does or let her be
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
If you are 3-4 hours out it may be too late for the peroxide anyway.You can take a wait and see approach, she may show signs of vomiting and diarrhea later. But it's also possible that she won't have any signs.It seems very unlikely either way that she ate enough to cause the really serious side effects (heart arrhythmias or seizures), so it may be worth going with a watch and see approach, push water and feed a bland diet for the next couple of days.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****