Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

What are the effects of malathion on dogs?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Malathion tends to have very little toxicity in dogs in small amounts, so if your Lab managed to ingest some, it would depend on whether it was a little lick, or a large amount. Usually toxicity only occurs to chronic exposure or acute exposure to high doses. As above, if your lab girl just licked up little bit, she will likely be ok. Flushing her mouth out and/or encouraging her to drink is a good idea. You would then need to watch for any vomiting, diarrhea, nausea or cramping. If you see any of this, bring her into your local emergency clinic. If your girl managed to ingest a large amount of Malathion, or if you are seeing any of these symptoms now, then get her seen straight away. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi J,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc