Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is an 14 year old shih Tzu who was just dx with Cushings.

Customer Question

My dog is an 14 year old shih Tzu who was just dx with Cushings. Started on medicine yesterday but in the last week he makes a quite type of yelp/whinning noise when he eats or drinks. Wondering if he is in pain and if it has anything to do with the Cushings.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bandit
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He is still eating & drinking fine
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I apologize that no one has assisted you and Bandit yet today...I do not think that what you describe is related to the Cushing's diagnosis. With Cushing's dogs have an increase in steroid production so their pain is actually lessened and can be exacerbated once the cushing's is being treated and well regulated. I would be more suspicious he is having pain with his upper neck and/ or jaw that is causing this change and I would advise a veterinary recheck on Monday. In the meanwhile:- Elevate food and water bowls to chest level so he doesn't have to bend his head- Make sure his food is soft and warm so that if there is pain in his jaw he doesn't have to work as hard- Apply warm compresses to his neck and jaw in ten minute intervals throughout the day to increase circulation and provide relief. If he is open to it, cool compresses can help numb, perhaps about 5 minutes prior to mealsI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope he is feeling better soon If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes this eveningIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!