Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog, who is a beloved family pet, has blood in her urine

Customer Question

My dog, who is a beloved family pet, has blood in her urine today. I know we need to get a urine sample, but is there anything I can do until we do that and get it tested.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your that has just been sent through to me. I am sorry there hasn't been an expert available to answer your question already. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Thanks again for your patience. It certainly sounds like your girl has either cystitis or a urinary tract infection, but your vet will also need to rule out possible causes like urinary crystals/stones, and even a bladder neck tumor. You're absolutely right, to rule out the large majority of these issues, a fresh urine sample will be required. Don't worry about collecting urine until you are able to book in a time to see your local vet. If you can see your vet this weekend, that would be the best bet and they can start the ball rolling by testing this urine. The testing will involve microscopy to look for bacteria and crystals, as well as an in-house urinalysis and a culture and sensitivity at a local lab to rule out infection. The most common urinary tract issue that causes these symptoms in dogs is a urinary tract infection, so getting a culture of the urine done will be very important. If you can - once you have made the appointment for your vet, don't collect the urine until a half hour or so before the appointment. The key thing you can do until you can get your girl seen, is to increase her water intake. If your girl is usually on dry kibble, start her on a canned moist diet from today for the next 2 weeks or so. You also need to encourage your girl's water intake, so make sure there are a plenty of water bowls around and encourage her to drink. If you think making up a chicken broth will assist her water intake - you could definitely try that as well. You can also try a dog water fountain (from your local pet store) if that could help. Don't be tempted to give any human anti inflammatories or other meds, as these are mostly toxic to dogs. If you want to try anything, you could use some Adaptil for your girl to help reduce any stress/anxiety she may have ( ), and you could also consider a joint supplement with glucosamine in it as there is some evidence that shows glucosamine may help reduce inflammation of the bladder ( ). The key however will be to increase water intake - so that is what to work on over the weekend until you can get your girl seen, and until your local vet can make a definitive diagnosis in order to start a treatment. All the best with your girl and let me know how you get on. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.