Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

We inherited my mother's dog this year. She is diabetic and

Customer Question

We inherited my mother's dog this year. She is diabetic and is taking medication for Cushings. She is obese as well, and has quite an apatite. We have cut way down on her treats and try to walk her daily. Last night we gave her a few very small pieces of grilled chicken. I believe the marinade was too spicy for her, but she ate it and had good apatite to that point. She was up most of the night, and today will not eat, and has been drinking water all day. She drinks a lot on a regular basis due to the diabetes and cushings, but this is more than normal. This onset of her heightened thirst is sudden. My initial thought is she is constipated. I have seen her urinate, but not poop today. She just goes out in the yard until she comes in for more water. She seems uncomfortable but is alert and able to walk around ok. We tried to get her to eat some pumpkin but she won't. I am considering some stool softener from a syringe. She takes insulin shots twice a day, but since she has not eaten, we have not given her the a.m. shot.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I apologize no one has assisted you both today and that your inherited dog has the issues you have described. I am glad you haven't given her the insulin yet. I will give you some guidelines below but dogs that have diabetes as well as cushing's are at high risk for pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) so if this continues I would strongly advise a veterinary exam to get her on medication to control nausea which is often what is causing her reduced appetite. If she isn't eating nor straining (just pacing) to defecate my inclination is this is more nausea than constipation. I would be hesitant to do a stool softener without knowing definitively because you can make her worse if you are going in the wrong direction... - Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the water (crushed if needed)- Since she is interested in being outside continue the walks which will help encourage defecation yet also help reduce nausea, increase gi motility, and help build an appetite- After 30 minutes of administration of the pepcid offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. - If her symptoms continue after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Honey comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.The increased water intake can be that her diabetes or her cushing's are no longer regulated or she can potentially now have a urinary tract infection that is exacerbating either condition... Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both todayIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope you were able to get help for your little one. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes this eveningIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you
Hi Jesse,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Honey. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman