Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My 19 month old Border Collie, imported from England at 10

Customer Question

My 19 month old Border Collie, imported from England at 10 weeks, is losing pigment on and under her nose, including her chin. I recently visited my good friend, the breeder, and had the opportunity to see two of her littermates, none of whom have this problem. I do live at a high altitude (6500) feet and have had snow throughout the winter. My regular vet tells me she has Lupus and needs to receive Tetracycline for life. I have read about consequences from over-vaccinating and other meds including Heartgard. My other dogs as adults have had titer tests but I thought my young dog should receive one full booster after her puppy shots. She is a show quality bitch and I participate in many dog sports--obedience, agility, herding. What can be done to cure this sweet girl?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Lupus cannot be diagnosed without a biopsy. This must be done before any treatment is determined. This loss of pigment could also be due to Collie Nose, due to a photosensitivity or a staph infection that is also affecting the chin, known as canine acne. Because of your hope to show this gal, have the diagnostics done so that you know exactly what is causing this and how best to treat this. This LINK may help. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****