Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Our 3yr old male Havenese is behaving differently. Not as interested

Customer Question

Our 3yr old male Havenese is behaving differently. Not as interested in meals as before. Sometimes constipated. Eats bits of paper etc off of floor. Has been growling at bigger dogs outside and nipped at my son while playing. Still loves to run outside with us.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I believe that Ollie has a minor digestive disturbance that is causing him to feel grouchy and not want to eat as much as before. He may have ingested something odd or had some form of stress that you may not be aware of...the treatment for this is as follows: Fast Ollie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the behavior has resolved, then wean Ollie back onto regular food. If this persists especially during the fast, take your sweet guy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction. There is also a chance that he has some arthritis or has injured an area in his back that will cause such pain that he does not feel well enough to eat and feels grumpy. This is a common issue in this breed because of their size and conformation. For this, give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs as long as he is eating something prior to the aspirin. Because of the constipation that may be due to the pain that he does not want to use the muscles to defecate, I would try this treatment first....if this does not help within a few days, consider the digestive treatment or have your vet examine Ollie. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****