Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have 3 Chihuahuas. The 2 youngest ones have small bumps on

Customer Question

I have 3 Chihuahuas. The 2 youngest ones have small bumps on there skin. The bumps started off on the back close to the tail. My babies are pretty miserable, itching, scratching, and even chewing. I can't get to my vet until Monday. Can you tell me what this is and what I can do for them? My female has lost some fur around the area of her backside. She got it first. My male, youngest, has them all over him now. I appreciate any help you can give. Thank you, ***** ***** Bama
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your 3 sweet babies! It appears to me that these bumps are due to allergies that have worked into small staph infections because of the scratching. They may have gotten into something or be sure to check for fleas since the tailhead and rear are a common area for these. Give Freeda, Ginger and Bama Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs which will stop the itching and scratching.Apply a cortisone creme such as Cortaid, available over the counter at the pharmacy, to the affected areas of each sweet baby every 6 hrs.In most cases such as this, they will stop itching and the bumps will heal. If this is not enough, your vet will have stronger medications to get them past this. Tinactin is only used for fungal infections and these are usually allergic related with a secondary bacterial component at times. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I have liquid benadryl and I will go to the store to get some cortaid. I will let you know in a day or 2 how it's working. Thanks, Freeda
PS. I'm Freeda, my older Chihuahua is Pepper, the mother. She has a bump or 2, not as bad but I'll treat her as well
Oh my...sorry Freeda! I did not mean to call you one of your babies! Give it a try ...this is very effective in most cases such as yours and I would like to know how they are doing....Pepper, Bama and Ginger. Please let me know if you have time.Thanks!!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I sure will Dr. Loretta. No problem with the name mix up :-)
Thanks Freeda....I know, since you care so much for your little ones, that Pepper, Ginger and Bama will do great. Please let me know if i can help you further.....

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bama. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta